LED (light emitting diode) That appear to flicker

What else is happening in the Nystagmus world

Moderators: dqbiggerfam, kez85, Committee

LED (light emitting diode) That appear to flicker

Postby ellearr on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:04 pm

Does anyone else with N have problems with LEDs?

Some new cars (volkswagen among others) are now using LED in their rear lights. When I look at them they appear to flicker or flash. There are LEDs everywhere and all give me the same problem. I've been horrified to learn that there are plans to replace street lamps with LEDs!

When travelling in the car in the dark (passenger, I'm not allowed to drive) the tail lights of cars drive me crazy with all the flickering, I often end up wearing dark glasses to reduce the effect.

I keep asking other people if they can see them flickering and no one says they can but I've not been able to ask another N person.

Am I the only one?!
ellearr

Re: LED (light emitting diode) That appear to flicker

Postby dqbiggerfam on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:50 am

Not from what I understand. I don't have a problem with them, but I'm on another mailing list and they aren't all that happy with LED lights.
dqbiggerfam

Postby Luka Brazi on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:03 pm

its actually the movement of your eyes causing this.... i noticed the same thing in my bedroom at night in the complete dark i was looking at my alarm clock out of the corner of my eye (where my nystagmus is in full force) and the LED lights were like bouncing (kind of like that game where the ball is attached the paddle with rubber string)
Luka Brazi

Postby midix on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:21 am

I guess, we with N are more sensitive to various flickering lights. I have N and I can almost instantly tell if a PC monitor (not LCD but an older CRT) is using under 75Hz refresh frequency - one glimpse is enough. If I tell someone that the monitor is flickering he/she says - But I do not see that! And when I look at display properties - yes, there is default windows setting 60Hz because of wrong display drives or no drivers at all, so I usually set that to 75Hz (or higher if the monitor is capable of that) and - what a relief for my eyes :D Although the owner of the monitor tells that he/she felt only small difference.
midix

Return to General